
Mara Gonzalez
Period 1 English 10
miss kim
The background of this speech is of a man "Haggard" who is a pastor. There is more to this story you see he is not only a pastor but a pastor who had been alleged to be having an affair with another man and had done cocaine for three years. Even though he had always told his followers that it is wrong to do any of these things. Haggard tries to persuade his audience by defending himself of these accusations. In my opinion I would say he had been very hipacritical.
Haggard tries to make people feel sympathy for him by expostulating in his deffending speech by using the word god. "I felt like God's plan was for sexuality to be monogamous, heterosexual marriage"(Haggard 1). He optains sympathy for his audince by saying that god wanted him to turn gay.
To me this person's ethos is not very good. He uses to much sympathy on people that sometimes its unbelievable.For me I would say this man is untrustworthy. If this man is something so"upper class" by being a priest he would not have the right mind to go against something he is telling people not to do.
Haggard tries to make people feel sympathy for him by expostulating in his deffending speech by using the word god. "I felt like God's plan was for sexuality to be monogamous, heterosexual marriage"(Haggard 1). He optains sympathy for his audince by saying that god wanted him to turn gay.
To me this person's ethos is not very good. He uses to much sympathy on people that sometimes its unbelievable.For me I would say this man is untrustworthy. If this man is something so"upper class" by being a priest he would not have the right mind to go against something he is telling people not to do.
1. Good job with the MLA heading, just remember to add the date, and Miss Kim should be above English 10 period 1.
ReplyDelete2. There's no title but the picture looks good and adds interest.
3. There is very good background information on your speaker. Good job. Maybe if you wanted to add more you could include what happened after people found out he was doing the exact things he preached against.
4. Nice embedded quote. Make sure there's a space after the last quotation mark before the parentheses. You explained how he was trying to gain sympathy but maybe you should try to give further details as to what the quote really means and ehy he felt the need to say it.
5. I think you are right about his ethos and everything. I don't think you need to say "upper class" though because you don't mention those words in the previous paragraphs.
6.I think you forgot the i in your first name. In paragraph one; make sure you spell hypocrite correctly. Also, you could maybe rewrite sentence number two by saying "...who had been allegedly having an affair..." and then continue. In paragraph two; defending only has one f. In paragraph three; make sure you write "too much" (there should be two o's).